Monday, October 19, 2009

SLEEP

I am sooo over it.

I swear that is all anyone talks about to a new MOM.

"How does he sleep?"

"Does he sleep through the night?"

"My baby slept through the night by now....."

"You let him sleep in your bed. *tisk tisk* That will be a hard habit to break."

"You are still nursing him in the night? You need to stop that before it becomes a habit...he doesn't need it."

"You lie down, nurse, rock him to sleep?" *tisk tisk*

For the record......

J WAS a good sleeper then it all went to crap.

M occasionally wakes at night.

I suffer from insomnia usually between 2am and 5am.

I have a sarcastic smile which is used when I think you are full of sh*t, bragging about your babies wonderful sleep habits.

I want to slap you a little bit when you say things like " We didn't want to be THAT parent."

Babies sleep better on their tummies, which is why your baby slept through the night some 39 years ago. Today we put them on their backs; it's safer.

Breastfed babies don't usually sleep through the night. (Don't fight me on this peeps. I have done my own statistical analysis.)

No, a bottle of formula is not going to help.

CIO doesn't work for all babies and it's not because I did it wrong. FYI I think it sucks!

I just don't care that much anymore. I spent far too long trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. And the answer is this:

Nothing.

I did nothing wrong.

I just believe that babies are all programed differently to sleep.

We all have different personalities, why should our sleep personality all be the same?

He WILL one day sleep through the night.

They all do eventually.

I would rather spend my days enjoying their itty bitty-ness.

It goes by too fast to be hung up on something as silly as sleep don't ya think?

5 comments:

  1. Look at that sweet little face!

    Miss M. was an okay sleeper after the first 3 months, but Miss D. was, and still is, hideous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right. And besides, people who don't live in your house and don't spend all day with your kid don't get a say. Unless they're saying what a fabulous job you're doing.

    Because you are doing a great job, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you for realizing that every baby is different. and for not listening to the other stories, it can drive you mad if you start comparing your children to friends' kids. every baby comes with it's own programming. and you're right, they all do eventually sleep. go you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently read one of my old journals and I wrote about how I couldn't believe how much I could obsess about sleeping and eating. I know you're frustrated, but that pic is adorable! Things will work themselves out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and remember one day he will be a teenager and he'll never get out of bed. I can't wait for that day;)

    ReplyDelete