Monday, January 25, 2010

Hostage taking

It was a little over 15 years ago that technology started it's stronghold on me.



While in university I went on a ski trip to Sugar Loaf in Maine.



I was a crappy, crappy skier.



So bad in fact I still have broken capillaries on my thighs from the massive amount of bruising that I incurred to prove it.



Ski patrol had to take me down the mountain after a few short feet.



Totally embarrassment.



I ended up meeting some peeps while waiting for my shuttle to take my bruised butt home.



Back then I was a mouthy thing...now not so much.



I digress.



I stayed in touch with one of those guys for about a year and a half after that trip.



He introduced me to this chat room from some radio station.



I think it was the Boston Hot Tub or something?



I remember I would head to the computer lab on weekends so I could chat it up with this guy.



The computers were old and decrepit.



No scripts or pictures or anything.



Just this constant flow of comments being posted from anyone in that particular forum.



Not long after, I discovered an Internet Cafe downtown and discovered what the chat room and other websites were supposed to look like.



I was tickled.



it would be long after that though that I bought my first computer.



Seven years ago to be exact.



And even then I only used email and surfed Martha and some cooking websites.



I didn't jump on the Facebook phenomenon until M was a couple of months old.



I need something to occupy my time while I was at home and he was sleeping.



Enter Blog land.



Seriously?



A little over a year ago I stumbled across two of my friend’s blogs.



I started reading one night feeling ever so guilty for snooping in one their lives but I couldn't stop.



I told my sister about it and she was like "uhh duhh.....everyone reads blogs. I have one."



Excuse me? Where the heck have I been?



So I started reading hers and she gave me some awesome links. And by awesome, I mean I read everyday and sometimes go back into their archives for more reading pleasure.



It was shortly there after that I decided that I need my own. I looked at it as an extension to scrapbook.



To tell my story and that of my family when I didn't have time to sit down and create.



I'm sure by know you are wondering where I am going with this?



Two days ago we got a Virus.



I was without Internet, Email, Facebook, Google reader and Two Peas for an entire 24 hours.



A good friend of B's came over we ran our computer in safe mode and ran a restore function of our antivirus and sent that virus packing.



But not after a day of complete frustration that was misdirected several times.



I am thankful that I recognized my frustration and took some much needed timeouts for hugs but that virus lingered in my mind all. day. long.



I went to bed last night thinking that it was crazy that I let it get to me so much.



So crazy that after it was fixed I didn't even go on and have a quick read of anything.



So crazy that I knew today I had to make it better.



Today we paint.



Today we might break out the play dough



Today we do puzzles.



Today we build towers and Super Grover with Lego



Today we may break out the play dough.



Today we cuddle on the couch.



Today we read.



Today we pack everything fun into one rainy day.





Today I realize that I may not be able to let go of the internet but I sure as hell can make sure my kids know that they are my priority.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that you got a virus, sweetie! Enjoy your day with the kids. Also, I think you are being kind of hard on yourself, so I'm sending you a hug, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the frustration when technology doesn't do what we want it to do! And it's OK, we all need something for just ourselves...this is what makes us better mommies.

    ReplyDelete