Sunday, April 26, 2009

I'm not good at playing.

At least I don't really think I am.

I prefer quiet activities. Coloring, walking, reading, snuggling, observing.

Sometimes I feel guilty that I don't do as much with you as I see Daddy do.

But I think roughhousing is probably more fun with Daddy.

This week my heart was swimming with pride though.

You read(repeated) a whole paragraph from your bath time book.

AND..

Tonight while reading our bedtime stories, you were flipping through pages of one of your books and randomly said the words that went with the pictures.

Okay I know this is not reading.

I know it is repeating what you have heard over and over for the past two years.

I just can't help but feel that my daily and nightly reading to you has made an impact.

I never want to stifle you or make you feel that you have to enjoy a hobby that I enjoy, nor am I going to kid myself into thinking that when you are older you are going to be enjoying a book on the couch on a rainy Sunday.

You are to much like your Dad. I KNOW your weekends will involve golf, hockey, nascar...And I will be there to cheer you on.

If that is what you want.

But if you do want to sit on the couch and read a good book, I'll be at the other end of the couch reading mine. And every so often I will look up at you and my heart will swell with pride again as I remember that even though I am not good at playing, I was good at something else.

I love you kiddo.

1 comment: